|Dear Residents of Billingham,|
Are your valuables visible through your windows and patio doors whilst you're out ?????
Please note that we've had a couple of reports of attempted break in's where valuables have been a potential temptation to opportunist thieves who've spotted them whilst walking by....... Please see below crime prevention advice and tips to prevent you from becoming a victim:-
· Doors – fit 5-lever mortice locks to front and back doors.
· Consider security bolts to the door/frame and also for internal ground floor doors.
· Patio doors – fit additional locks/door bar and check for space at the top of the door as burglars can lift these out of the frame.
· Windows – fit British kite marked snap locks – key operated – two per window.
· Fit a house alarm (use a reputable company registered with NACOSS or NSI) using sensors on doors and windows in addition to PIR sensors.
· Consider fitting a safe to an upstairs room (bolted to the floor and external wall) for valuables, passports and items of sentimental value.
· Do not leave valuables on show, eg mobiles, laptops, tablets etc.
· Mark your property – use your postcode and house number! Cleveland Police use a Dotpeen property marking machine.
If you see anything suspicious you can report it via our 101 telephone line or in an emergency 999.
PCSO Jane Gibson 8594